Program objective: Developing foundation engineering solutions to meet the specific requirements of the marine renewable energy industry.
Geotechnical research is necessary to update the standard design methods established for the offshore oil and gas industry to account for the specificities of floating ocean renewable energy. In support of the industry, innovative solutions are being developed to significantly reduce the cost of foundation engineering in ocean renewable energy projects.
The “Geotechnics / Foundation Design” program within WERC conducts research into:
- Torbay seabed characterisation;
- Support for AWEP foundation design;
- AWEP foundation monitoring;
- Performance of pile foundation under cyclic tensile inclined loading;
- Influence of multidirectional loading on pile tensile inclined capacity.